Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 10:34:43 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Venom MaNes <electronicvenom@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wrongly using Fdisk with my 40G hardisk

On Wednesday, 15 May 2002 at 14:18:48 +0000, Venom MaNes wrote:

> Dear BSD
>
> I had encountered a problem that my Second hardisk IBM 40G has
> been converted to BSD format , original, i have a few partition of FAT
> on it, and once is Ext2, but after running FDISK, it said, my whole
> second hardisk (40G) becomes to freeBSD format,

Well, what I think you mean to say is that you accidentally deleted
your FAT partitions.

> now, i thought all stuff is still inside the hardisk,but i can't
> access it. How could my FAT data be recovered ? is there any clue
> for it?

fdisk only changes the first sector on  the disk, so yes, if that's
all you've done, you still have the data on disk.  If you know what
the old layout was, you can re-run fdisk and recreate the old
partitions, and the data will still be there.

There's another possibility that you're just not using fdisk
correctly.  Until you tell fdisk to write data back to the disk, it
doesn't change anything.  Have you confirmed that the partitions are
really gone?

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.