Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:18:04 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MBR Woes

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Brian Handy wrote:

> ARrghgh...I just installed FBSD on a new box, and I made the disk
> "dangerously dedicated."  This in and of itself was fine, but I didn't
> make it bootable.
>
> Then I went in with sysinstall and flipped the boot flag and wrote it out,
> wondering if that would do it.  It did, but in the process I got booteasy
> installed as well.
>
> NOW, what happens is I get "F1  . . . BSD", but hitting F1 gets me
> nowhere.
>
> Is there a quick way out of this conundrum, or am I going to have to blast
> the disk to get around this?

There isn't any quick way around this. When you wrote out booteasy,
you blasted the first few (essential) bytes of your root file-system
on your dangerously dedicated disk. Unless you're willing to fool
around with a file-system editor, it'd be easier to reinstall.

Cheers.

Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
                             Who dares nothing, need hope for nothing