Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why does devd not capture stdout?

I've created an autorun facility for USB drives using devd. I have the following addition in devd.conf:

attach 10 {
match "device-name" "umass0";
action "/usr/local/bin/autorun >/var/log/autorun.log 2>&1 &";
};

This works perfectly except only stderr messages appear in the autorun.log file; stdout messages are lost. If I run the same command manually:

/usr/local/bin/autorun >/var/log/autorun.log 2>&1

then stdout messages are captured in autorun.log as expected.

What would cause this problem?