Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:27:07 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux got TV-Out for the Matrox G450/550, any chance for FreeBSD ?

The following is based on my own experiences and a lot of searching
on the web...

I have a Matrox G400-DH and use the second head to display the output
of mplayer on a TV. BTW, this works great by using the following command:

mplayer -display :0.1 -vo x11 -fs -zoom -double

I have to use the Matrox HAL binary since this is the only way to use
TV-Out. The newer cards G450/550 also have TV-Out support but only for
M$ windows. Several month ago I (and lots of other people) asked about
TV-Out support for these newer cards on the official Matrox Linux forum
(http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaforum/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go)
but never received any reply. In fact, while there is a really good
support regarding other subjects, the ignorance w.r.t. TV-Out even
drove some people away from Matrox (that's what they said, at least)
and made me stick with my G400-DH :-(.

Today, when I looked for some hints how to enable overscan on the
G400-DH using TV-Out, I found some websites which claim to have support
for TV-Out for the G450/550 cards under Linux:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dan.eriksen/matrox_tvout/
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dan.eriksen/matrox_tvout/g450_tvout_howto.html
http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/linux/matrox-latest/
http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/directfb/

They seems to use the Direct Frame Buffer thingie under Linux;
afaik nothing like this exists in FreeBSD.

Since I don't know enough about these things -- maybe someone wants to
have a look at the URLs... It would be interesting to know if there is
chance to get this stuff ported to FreeBSD.

Thanks,

	-Andre