Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:58:27 -0500
From:      Clayton Scott Kern <ckern1@roadrunner.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail & Procmail

on 01-29-2010, David Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 02:59:34PM -0500, Clayton Scott Kern wrote:
> > I just upgraded to FBSD 8.0 from 6.4 and I'm having a problem with
> > sendmail passing email to procmail.  I only use this combination for
> > email from root's cron jobs.  Right now emails to me from cron go to
> > /var/mail/ckern1.
>
> [...]
>
> > I created the cf file using make cf, then make install and make
> > restart.
>
> OK, but did the procmail enhancements make it in the generated .cf file?
>
> > What have I missed.  This is the same setup on 6.4 and it worked fine.
>
> If making procmail available (or mandatory) for all users I can see
> justification for what you are trying. But for just one user why not
> keep it simple with a "|/usr/local/bin/procmail" in /etc/aliases?
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net
> Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

I aliased root to me and now it works.  Thank you for the tip.

I set up sendmail this way years ago, before I discovered fetchmail,
procmail, getmail & maildrop.

I would like to get away from sendmail or any other MTA for that matter, but
never found solution for handling the emails generated by the system.

--
Clayton Scott Kern
ckern1@roadrunner.com

Finally, brethern, whatever is true,