Date:      Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:34:41 -0500
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: easy Firewall setup

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net> wrote:
> --As of April 25, 2011 7:43:33 PM -0500, Antonio Olivares is alleged to h=
ave
> said:
>
>> I don't know which one to use, is there a page, howto (build a
>> firewall or convert an existing one) to use here? =A0All I want is to be
>> allowed to visit websites but don't allow anyone out there to come in
>> somehow a template that I can use and try out to see if I can get it
>> working. =A0Of course the network name might be different, but I can try
>> to figure things out.
>
> If all you want is a firewall, I'd go with this:
> <http://www.pfsense.org/>;
>
> Based on FreeBSD, but they've set it up nice and put an easy-to-use
> interface on top of it.
>
> Of course if you wanted you could always just install the base system, tu=
rn
> on routing, and configure pf/iptables. =A0There's not really a whole lot =
> either one, really... =A0But if you don't feel like learning their syntax
> right now, or doing everything via a text editor, I'd really go with
> pfsense. =A0(Even if you *do* know their syntax, in most cases I'd go wit=
> pfsense...)
>
>> After figuring this out, my next big job/task is to use FreeBSD to
>> make up a new router/dhcp server to give/assign ip numbers to machines
>> from one and give to many. =A0This has been something hard that I have
>> failed at several times. =A0Maybe with FreeBSD I can be successfull?
>
> pfsense has a DHCP server, no problem there.
>
> Daniel T. Staal

Thanks for sharing this.  I have a base FreeBSD 8.2 system on one
machine and I would like to setup a firewall that allows me to visit
websites and not allow incoming traffic.  Something easy to set up and
start like
/etc/local/rc.d/rc.pf start
or similar.  A nice example which I can change somethings like name of
network device, i.e, nv0, or similar device.

I will try further reading and try to set something up as I am afraid
to screw things up.

Regards,

Antonio