Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:54:29 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        "Richard Childers" <rchilders@hamquist.com>
Cc:        "Dmitriy Bokiy" <ratebor@cityline.ru>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie questions: DoS & xinetd

"Richard Childers" writes:

> For instance, if I wanted to search for all occurrences of the string
> "net.inet.ip.redirect", I would do:
>
> 	# find / -type f -exec grep -i "net.inet.ip.redirect" {} \; -print

One word of caution for indiscriminate use of "find /" is that
it can lead to long waits and lots of disk thrashing on machines
with lots of files.  Here's one I just ran:

	# /usr/bin/time find / -print | wc -l
	     3296.20 real        96.33 user       968.21 sys
	  711184

Obviously, to do something like run grep over however many of
those 700k entries and <6GB of data that are actually files
would add quite a bit to the 55 minutes the simple find took.

Of course, this is not to argue that people should not look for
answers on their machines.

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org> or <gjb@computer.org>
Fight censorship in Australia: <http://www.efa.org.au>;