Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:54:24 -0800
From:      "Jono Juggler" <jono@mail2Juggler.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   wireless connect script

Hello,
I am setting up FreeBSD6 on my thinkpad, and I am trying to find an easy
way to connect to an available network. I was hoping there was a Gnome
applet or anything in X11 that would allow this, but I have found that
there is not.

Note that I have been able to connect to an access point using ifconfig
commands.

So I am looking for a script or anything that will do the connecting for
me at the terminal level, but I have not found one either. So now I am
reduced to just looking for something that will display the available
networks. I installed both bsd_airtools/dstumbler and wistumbler2. Both
programs run, but do not work. dstumbler gives and ioctl error and
wistumbler2 prints nothing.

So does anyone have a script that will show the available networks and
then allows you to choose one to connect to.

Maybe I will look into a way of writting my own program in Tcl or
something. I can just parse the output from:
ifconfig iwi0 last ap

Even the output is not very nice as it is and I dont know what all the
fields stand for. If the SSID is too long, it cuts it off. Is there some
documentation on this table, or a way to change the formatting? The man
page does not get into it?

Are people working on this sort of thing?