Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:41:23 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Micropolis Runs Too HOT!

}
}   Microcopolis drives suck.  You will need to mount a fan near the drive.
}
}   I have two Micropolis 3243 drives.  I eventually mounted two 50 CFM fans
} on the case, which kept the drives at room temperate.  This worked well,
} but then one of the drives begain to develop bad sectors.  I turned
} auto-remapping on, and the problem disappeared for a while, and then
} returned presumably because the spare area was full.  This same drive
} started to hang on a weekly basis, and require a power cycle to be
} properly detected by the controller (same situation as your drive).  Was
} definitely not heat related, as the drives are *well* cooled.  Seems to be
} a software problem.
}
}   I also have some more Microcrapolis horror stories involving a 24GB
} drive array.  Microcrapolis engineers actually came onsite for this one,
} and did firmware upgrades, twice.  After a year, the entire thing was sent
} back for full credit.
}
}   Unless you like to punish yourself, DON'T get Micropolis drives.
}

Micropolis has a reputation for poor quality control going back many
years.  I know of three vendors that swore them off at various stages --
mostly due to multiple DOAs.  They tend to have more bad sectors when new
than many of their competitors.

Richard