Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:53:58 +0200
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, rabing@omc.net
Subject:   Re: UFS2 with 4TB disk

Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> writes:
> The FDISK and bsdlabel schemes simply cannot deal with >2TB.  You'll
> need to either put your filesystem directly on the storage device
> without and slices/labels, or use GPT to create logical partitions.

I wouldn't recommend GPT for production use quite yet.  There are at
least two issues with it: first, it does not implement a full set of
control verbs for administration tasks; second, it enforces exclusive
access whenever a consumer asks for write access.  The combination of
the two means that 'gpt show' doesn't work if one of the slices is
mounted.  You *can* create new slices on the fly (there is an "add"
verb), but you're flying blind: you have no idea how much space is
left, or whether another slice with the same label already exists.

(note that this is does not affect access to existing slices, and is
not a fundamental flaw, but it *is* a pretty serious usability issue
IMHO)

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no