Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 06:47:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with new drive (Connor CFP1060S 1.05GD 243F)

> Hi...
>
> 	I'm attempting to install a new Connor drive onto a -current
> system, and after four attempts using a boot disk (was trying to make
> it a "root" system disk), I think its time to ask for help.
>
> 	The system is only a 386DX40 w/8Meg of RAM, as I'm using a spare
> system to do the installation, so that the system its going into doesn't
> have too much downtime.
>
> 	I'm using an Adaptec 1542CF controller, and the drive is, as shown
> below, a Connor CFP1060S 1.05GD 243F.
>
> 	When booted from floppy, and trying to install that way, I get
> errors as follows on VTY2:
>
> sd0(aha0:0:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
> sd0(aha0:0:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable field replaceable
>                unit: 15

Maybe it was never properly formatted?

I'd do this -

Hook it up to a running system;
Run the "scsiformat" script on it;
See if you can label it and do raw I/O to it.

If you can't get this far let us know what happens.

(...)

> 	If I run 'disklabel sd0', I get the "allocation failed" errors that
> you see below...can someone explain that error?

My current is not too current. I don't see that message - maybe it
is coming from the devfs code?

Hackers: when we do kernel printfs we should give some sort of
identity string that narrows it down to a corner of the kernel.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936