Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 16:10:25 -0400
From:      Jason Garman <jgarman@wedgie.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridging code problems with aliasing

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 06:41:52PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> interesting report -- thanks. now i suppose we should just
> make sure that the arp layer will always thing it has the
> address of the primary interface (the one with the ip
> address assigned) ?

Basically, that's what I was thinking.  I looked through the arp code but
it's beyond my comprehension right now.  The other strange thing is that
the kernel will stop responding to arp requests on the aliased
interface... not sure why that's happening, but it keeps my alias from
working at all :( (strangely enough it will work for the first few
minutes, then stop.)

I couldn't find any regular pattern to when the kernel decides to "switch"
the hardware address used to respond to arp requests- just seems kind of
random.

enjoy
--
Jason Garman                                         http://web.wedgie.org/