Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 20:06:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web server plug in port - where to install ?

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Ernie Elu wrote:

> > I'm porting w3-msql, which is an extension for HTML pages to allow mSQL
> > queries.  It builds just fine, but I'm confused as to where I should
> > install it.  It would usually go in the web server's cgi-bin directory,
> > but since I can't assume where that is, I'm thinking I should put it in
> > /usr/local/bin and then explain how to copy it over and configure your web
> > server in the man page (which I have to write; see last question).
> >
> > Comments ?
> >
> It's got to go in the cgi dir otherwise how do you call it from a web page?
> You can't call from /usr/local/bin it could be a security hole depending on
> what else you have in there, and a pain to reconfigure the web server to look
> there for it.
>
> The standard cgi dir would most likely be /usr/local/www/cgi-bin as it
> appears that most FreeBSD users use Apache and thats where it's cgi's live.

The standard dir for most web servers is /usr/local/etc/httpd (including
Apache and NCSA.)  It doesn't matter though - I personally use
/usr/local/www, as did the person who ported apache and many other people
I know.  The point is that I don't want my opinions (or lack thereof) to
shape how people run their systems.  That's against (IMHO) the ideas
behind the ports collection.

My proposal (see above) was to install into /usr/local/bin, knowing full
well that the program couldn't be used until it was put into the specific
cgi-bin directory (hence until the man page had been read).

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |