Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:32:18 +0400
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Console

On 10/16/05, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have asked this question before, so if it looks familiar ...
>
> I am hoping all the reading I have done over the past few weeks makes thi=
> instance of the qeustion clearer.
>
> Background:
>
> 1 Dell 24 Port Switch, WAN connection to my ISP.
> 5 Dell Serers, each with 2 NICs.
>     1 NIC on each connected to SWITCH - VLAN 1 -WAN (Many different IP's)=
.
>     1 NIC on each connected to SWITH - VLAN 2 -LAN (192.168.0/24)
>
>     Each Server has 2 Serial ports, unused.
>     Each Server has 2 USB ports, unused.
>
> All servers running FreebSD
>     2 Running 4.10
>     1 Running 5.2.1
>     1 Running 5.4
>     1 Running 4.4 (Slave3 Nameserver only).
>
> I am ~ 120 miles from the server cage these are located in. So traveling =
> there is a real pain.
>
> I have been reading everything I can find on consoles, ttys, blackboxes,
> Lantronix serial cables etc, etc ,etc ,etc ...
>
> What I am looking to do, is to connect all the servers to a device, or,
> daisychain them together so that even if I reboot a broken machine, I can
> still get to a "boot ?" prompt, not to mention single user mode and norma=
> ssh shell prompt. (of course I already have the latter through IP when th=
> machine boots correctly.
>
> So my question is, can a machine be made to still be remotely accessable
> (any method), when file systems are not mounted, or, kernel not loaded? I=
> so, using what setup?
>
> -Grant

rg"

First, you should check with your servers' specs.
Many vendors include basic LOM (Lights-out-
management) support in their boxes. If they do,
you should turn it on in the BIOS - and it will
redirect all text-based screen output and keyboard
input to a COM port. If all goes right, you'll be able
to even edit your BIOS settings remotely.

Secondly, you can place "console comsonsole"
line in /boot/loader.conf. That should allow you
to access that "boot ?" prompt.

Thirdly (preferred method for servers without
good LOM) - you can buy a 3d-party LOM,
available in a dozen of forms, from PCI and
what not cards to KVM-over-IP solutions.