Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:25:06 -0800
From:      "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Compaq Proliant Kernel Troubles

I have a Compaq Proliant, I'm not sure of the model as it's not written
anywhere on the box. It has 2 PII 400 processors and 256 megs of RAM in it..

The initial FreeBSD 4.2 install went just fine, it was snappy as it could be
(as usual).. I went and recompiled a kernel to include SMP support and
rebooted only to find the machine freeze totally when it got to the
processor/SMP initialization (or what ever that is), it was right after it
started to boot. I had to power cycle the machine to get anything to happen
and load the generic kernel again..

Any ideas as to what might be the problem? I've checked both processors and
they seem to be plugged in firmly and when it boots, I can see some
information about both processors (from the hardware, not FreeBSD)..

Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

-Mitch