Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2010 22:54:05 +0200
From:      Stefan Miklosovic <miklosovic.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash instead of csh (completely)

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for your quick answers, I really appreciate it.

I dont want to start flame war about linux vs bsd but ... :)
Before I start to explain what I want to do, I want you know
I consider freebsd faaaar away better than linux in a lot of ways.
(it is also a reason I want to build something upon bsd instead of
linux, there are so many advantages ... ok, this post isnt about that :))

In work, we try to do some kind of linux distro, it is based on slacware.
I am not a guy who lead it, but in the way we are developing it, I think it is
 bad idea at all. Firstly, we try to do minimal slackware installation
as much it is possible, so now we are about 2.6.34 kernel, minimum
kernel modules, no man or docs, files you do not need for sure are removed.
We ended with quite usable system with quite neccessary utilities. It has
about ~150 MB.

But I think with this process, we just cut ourselves from such things like
system upgrade (if slackware would have someone :D), package upgrade
(we nearly all do manually, compiling from source) and so on ...
Note that this distro is not something massively distributed, just for
our purpose,
but problems remains.

While I always inclined to *bsd and not used linux more as it was a duty, I
want to do it in bsd way. So set up minimal bsd without things I do not need
but still stay in touch with things like package system, ports (its the same)
and system upgrades / updates. I should write my own installer and so on.

What I still miss is a way how to "bend" freebsd to my needs. In
linux, it is easy
as hell, remove this, change that, and it still runs. I am afraid that
if I cut off some
parts of system, I will not benefit from it anymore. For example, I
install minimal bsd,
but it contains still things I do not need (some dir like "games" and other
stuff or some ancient groups in /etc/groups like uucp, proxy,games, dialer (???
in year 2010, who use it?) and so on.

So I am afraid to be so "brutal" to just remove it ...

FreeBSD has another philosophy than Linux, but i feel Linux is more
"customizable".
But understand that it is advantage and disadvantage too ...

I think I have to more study about /usr/src/ :) For example, I would
like to know,
how to install something into other dir and no to default one. Think about port.
All to /usr/local/ ... and so on. But what if I want to install it in
/ExtraStuff ? How do
I do it in "make install clean" way? Change port's make file ? no way .....