Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:29:05 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, ym g <ymg@graffiti.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which applications are using kqueue ?

Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 03:24:27PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, ym g wrote:
>> > Are there plans for any apps like thin/fast [maybe in kernel]
>> > webserver which uses kqueue
>>
>> I've been tinkering with kq'ing thttpd - in fact I have it working (which
>> was trivial), although it's not optimized yet so I don't expect major
>> performance changes - thttpd is still querying each FD individually for
>> status, instead of just using the next ones kq tells it about. I just need
>> to figure out how to benchmark it effectively - httperf is running into
>> client limitations so far.
>
>The boa HTTP server might be as good a place to start too: it
>doesn't fork either (except to run CGI scripts).  Actually, thttpd
>sounds pretty similar.  I hadn't looked at it before.  Have you
>compared them at all?

There's a slightly elderly comparison of various web servers hanging
off the thttpd web site:
	http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/benchmarks.html

It doesn't go up to a very high concurrency which is where the kqueue
stuff will really win.

I've been meaning to start looking at altering Flash to use kqueue.
Flash is much better at handling large data sets (bigger than the
amount of RAM) than other select()-based web servers because it has a
load of hacks to avoid blocking on disk (lots of stat() cacheing and a
combination of mmap and mincore). It was originally derived from
thttpd, but unfortunately Flash doesn't have such a free license :-(

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
481 therapeutic body-temp sump dunk