Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 00:18:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@usw4.freebsd.org>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Base Package?

Hmmm... maybe not the correct place to ask but...

Are there any plans to make the base tar also a real package.
Essentially I would like to see the base tar like:

base depends on:
 base-binaries
 base-config
 sendmail
 bind
 opensshd

This way one won't get the clashes when one installs base (which includes
OpenSSH) and later want to add a newer version etc...

I am kinda used to Debian, though I yelled at that at first too when I
jumped over from VMS which don't have any package management at all
and I yelled at Debian because it did all my work for me.. strange huh :)
But now I am used to it... I also sometimes like to know where a binary
belongs to and as the base tar isn't a package one has all kinds of
binaries which can't be resolved to a package...

I could... do a tar -t and cat that to a package list.... but then again
it would be neat to have this per default...

Another point is that one doesn't want named nor sendmail on a workstation
so one could leave those out then...

Greets,
 Jeroen