Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:57:38 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: install from floppy

I'm looking at all the broadband options actually . Ideally I'd like a
duplex satellite
system (no limit on available areas & the latency issue keeps the doom /
quake kiddies
at bay) but the cost is still ezcessive. As for cable / DSL, Tel$tra gets on
the tail end
of the list automatically due to the dirty tricks they habitually play.

I notice from the postings on www.cableusers.com.au & www.adslusers.com.au
that
both Tel$tra & Optus cop a dreadful bashing over poor service / stupidly
worded
& even deliberately misleading (the ombudsman certainly took that view of
the Optus one) acceptable use policies / etc, whereas Primus & Pacific
generally get good reviews.
I know there are only a few noisy ones lurking at those sites so possibly
some of the
flak is overdone ... even so the Primus AUP is infinitely more intelligent
than the
Tel$tra / Optus ones. I'm not prepared to play their fool games with
netstats / traffic
lights either. If they acted like adults & specified what "acceptable usage"
is in proper
english I might consider the majors, but until then I'll take my business
elsewhere.

We'd definitely prefer to have business type connections but all the current
DSL
providers wet themselves at the thought of the charges they can levy on
people
wanting "proper" IPs. The stupid thing is that we own more public IPs than
almost
any telco or ISP in the country. Looks like its a matter of exercising some
ingenuity
to get something like "unlimited" data & effectively "proper" IPs without
offending those
AUPs or paying a kings ransom for data.