Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2014 23:28:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck-lists@cksoft.de>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: De Raadt + FBSD + OpenSSH + hole?

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <53546795.9050304@quietfountain.com>,
> "hcoin" <hcoin@quietfountain.com> wrote:
>
>> ... It is for the community to decide whether it is 'worth it'
>> on a case by case basis given there is no way to prove a program
>> 'correct' from a security perspective.
>
> I guess that I was sick that day in software school.
>
> Did I just hear you tell me that I can't prove the following program
> is "secure"?
>

> int
> main (void)
> {
>  return 0;
> }

in an ideal world you could propably.  The difficulty ist that even
above seemingly trival snippet of code is run after initialization of
the c runtime library and some pre processing of argc, argv.

It gets more complex with c++ contstructors run before main.

If gets even more complex the more software components interact in
wierd and wonderfull ways.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck@cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2