Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:26:48 -0700
From:      Joshua Oreman <oremanj@webserver.get-linux.org>
To:        "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem compiling the C/C++ reference for Kdevelop

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:57:24PM -0400 or thereabouts, J. Seth Henry seemed to write:
> [...]
> checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... no
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking for main in -lutil... yes
> checking for main in -lcompat... yes
> checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
> checking for socklen_t... socklen_t
> checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
> checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
> checking for inet_ntoa... yes
> checking for connect... yes
> checking for remove... yes
> checking for shmat... yes
> checking for res_init... yes
> checking for killpg in -lucb... no
> checking for int... yes
> checking size of int... 4
> checking for long... yes
> checking size of long... 4
> checking for char *... yes
> checking size of char *... 4
> checking for char... yes
> checking size of char... 1
> checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
> checking for shl_unload in -ldld... no
> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
> checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
> checking for libXext... yes
> checking for Xinerama... no
> checking for extra includes... no
> checking for extra libs... no
> checking for libz... -lz
> checking for libpng... no
> checking for libjpeg6b... no
> checking for libjpeg... no
> configure: WARNING:
> There is an installation error in jpeg support. You seem to have only one
> of either the headers _or_ the libraries installed. You may need to either
> provide correct --with-extra-... options, or the development package of
> libjpeg6b. You can get a source package of libjpeg from
> http://www.ijg.org/
> Disabling JPEG support.
>
> checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 2.2.2) (libraries) not
> found. Please check your installation!
> For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
> alexandria#
>
> Now, I know that the jpeg libraries are present (I believe they are now
> part of the base system) because I have compiled other software that
> requires the libraries, and they found them just fine. Odd message,
> though. It seems like it found parts of the libraries, but not others.
>
> As for the Qt libraries, well they should have been installed with KDE.
> Sure enough, here is the pkg info in /var/db/pkg:
>
> alexandria# ls -l | grep qt
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 May 31 21:49 qt-3.1.1_4
>
> Has anyone managed to get this documentation installed? It's not critical,
> as I have other C/C++ reference books (physical books) laying around, but
> it would be nice to have an online version.

I think you need to run:
$ CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib" ./configure
It apparently is not seeing /usr/local/lib/lib{jpeg,qt}*.so*.
Or, copy those libraries to /usr/lib [but this is an inelagant solution].

HTH,
-- Josh