Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
Cc:        "Michael A. Bushkov" <bushman@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: dynamically linked root and nscd

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Bosko Milekic wrote:

>  I hate to intrude like this here, but I have a question.
>
>  When you guys talk about "caching daemon," I hope you mean the same
>  thing.  Do you mean "a daemon that would only do caching and be queried
>  by the libc stuff before the nss code calls the backend" or do you mean
>  "a daemon that the nss code would talk to and that would not only do
>  caching but also take care of calling the backend?"  Because, in the
>  former case, you still need to dynamically link whereas in the latter
>  (more appealing case), you don't.

What I have in mind is an NSS libc stub client that speaks to a UNIX
domain socket, which hooks you up to nscd which dynamically links against
the providers of the NSS lookup services.

>  I may be totally wrong here, but I could have sworn I saw someone
>  post about working/having worked on something like the latter somewhere
>  on our lists within the past two weeks.

Could well be, and should definitely be looked at before implementing
anything.  It could also be that NetBSD has an nscd.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories