Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:58:59 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Gan Starling <MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken packages in FreeBSD? -- KDE 2?, Gnome?

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:44:03AM -0500, Gan Starling wrote:
> Does the FreeBSD package system admit of known broken packages? NetBSD,
> it would seem, does not. Are there any converts there from NetBSD to
> FreeBSD who are able to tell me if the package system for FreeBSD is
> more honest about its degree of brokenness than is the package system
> for NetBSD?

Packages are believed to work, except where they don't.  When they
don't, talk to the developers or the port maintainer and report the
problem as thoroughly as you can.

KDE and GNOME are both very complex pieces of code.  They contain
bugs, and may in fact "not work right", depending on whether or not
any of the bugs you encounter are in areas you consider serious.
There's nothing much you can really do about that, except spending
some time fixing them yourself or perhaps paying a developer to work
on it - that's just reality.

=46rom the problems you described in your email, (and forgive me for
being blunt) it sounds like you have the wrong attitude for working
with an open source community like NetBSD or FreeBSD..when you
encounter problems, some of the responsibility is on you to actually
track them down and report them to the best of your ability, or live
with it.

Kris

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ--