Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 01:55:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ESDI drive woes

OK, I'm trying for the umpteenth time to install FreeBSD 2.0.5 on an
ESDI drive.

Drive is formatted with Disk Manager.

Apparently when Disk Manager sees a bad sector, it "spares" the whole track.
Unfortunately, FreeBSD doesn't know where to find the spare track, or the
spare track is unformatted. Disk Manager won't format outside the official
data space on the drive.

When bad144 sees a spare track, it eats all 35 of the sectors on it and
it doesn't take many defects to beat the maximum of 126 defects per
partition at that rate.

The controller is an HP special. It looks like a WD1007 but doesn't appear
to have a BIOS accessible through DEBUG, so I can't use the WD sector
sparing even if I wanted to.

Help?