Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:30:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jason McKay <jasonm@barney.webace.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Links

On Mon, Aug 18, 1997 at 10:20:25AM +0800, Jason McKay wrote:
> I have just installed a second hard disk on my FreeBSD machine, I have
> moved the users directories to /drive2c (partition on second drive).
>
> How can I make a link, so when you change directory to /home it actually
> goes to /drive2c/home?

Do you already have a directory home?  If so, do (as root):

  # mkdir /drive2c/home
  # cd /
  # tar cf - home | (cd /drive2c; tar xvf -)

  Now make very sure that everything has come across, then:

  # rm -rf /home

After that, even if you didn't have a home:

  # ln -s /drive2c/home /

BTW, I find drive2c a bad choice of name for a file system.  What
happens if you move it somewhere else?  In general, your file system
names shouldn't reflect the hardware configuration.  You could, for
example, call it /home :-)

Greg