Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:28:15 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Contributing to FreeBSD (was: userland firewall ?)

Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com> types:
> > There are many pages of gotchas, ands and buts, starting with "which
> > Linux distro are you talking about" and ending with "will it install
> > with a serial console." I'll be glad to provide details offline, or
> > you can ask on -advocacy where I'm sure someone will answer.
> Most of my linux experience has been with redhat. I know they put a lot of
> effort in making the install portion as painless as possible. As a matter of
> fact, the first time I installed linux was because I needed support for
> laptops and PCMCIA cards and FBSD wasn't quite there yet. The install was
> quite painless and easy.

I don't remember which one gave me fits; it was either Red Hat or
Mandrake. Things like not being able to exit the install without
configuring an X server, having to edit no fewer than three files to
turn off the *^*(& color ls, and so on. It really reminded me of
Windows - easy to install, so long as what you want is what they want
to give you. You want something else, you're out of luck.

> > However, the problem is being addressed, in two different ways. First,
> > the idiosyncrasies of libdialog that make doing a FreeBSD install so
> > twitchy are being addressed, and that should show up in 4.4. Second,
> > the entire install process and package facility is being reworked, but
> > I don't believe that's planned for 5.0 - but it would be great if it
> > made it.
> I don't have any problems with the install procedure. I occasionally get a
> little confused with sysinstall in terms "how do I active or do the options
> I just selected". For example, sometime pressing escape in sysinstall, you
> go up one level, other times it does something else.

That's what I meant by the "twitchy" install. That should be better
with 4.4 than it was with prior versions.

> However, this client would have never attempted to migrate to a unix system
> by himself.

I've had client install NT, then change their mind and go to
FreeBSD. They wanted NT to cut me out of the loop - but paying a
consultant to fix the system was cheaper than dealing with NT.

	<mike