Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 95 09:47:28 CDT
From:      Brian Gottlieb <brian@arl.wustl.edu>
To:        -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

-Vince-  <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu> (Vince) writes:

>> freefall has 64Mb of swap on each of 3 drives. wcarchive has 200Mb on
>> each of 4 drives (total 800Mb)

Vince> 	That's pretty big for a swap partitions...

It all depends on what you're doing with it.  In my machine at work I
have a 400 meg drive dedicated to swap.  The circuit synthesis and
simulations we run here need LOTS of memory and swap.  The "big"
machines in our group have 256M of memory and a 1 Gig swap drive.

I suppose splitting the large swap-space over 4 disks is probably much
more efficient than having just a single big (and, might I add, LOUD)
disk, but then who wants to be efficient? ;)

brian