Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 03:34:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James D. Stewart" <jds@c4systm.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD INN News Server.

The plea...

We are in process of converting our Usenet News server to FreeBSD. In the
past it has been SCO Unix 3.2.4 (lots of problems), and Redhat Linux
1.2.13 and 2.0.10 (even more problems). When our satellite feed jumped
from 200+ Mb/day to 800+ Mb/day, we had to do something. We already have
a box with FreeBSD 2.0.5 that has been up constantly for almost a year
with no problems: the only time it has ever had to be rebooted was during
a 5 hour power outage last winter. Other than that, it has been like a
rock! No problems what-so-ever.

The News server is running with a AMD586/133 chip (Triton chipset), has
an Adaptec 2940 (their SCSISelect program says aha2940U), and 5 hard
disks with the following layout:

  1.2 Gb Seagate for /, /var, and /tmp
  1.2 Gb Seagate for /usr, /u, and swap
  2.6 Gb DEC     for /var/spool/news (all but alt.*)
  3.9 Gb Fujitsu for /var/spool/news/alt (alt.*)
  540 Mb Connor  for /var/spool/news/over.view (overview database)

When we installed FreeBSD 2.1, we could not get the system to boot - the
book we have said that is probably due to bad disk geometry. All disks
came from existing systems and were operational. We tried using the
manufacturers specs for cyls/hds/sects to no avail. We tried installing
MS-DOS on all drives to no avail. We used the numbers on the existing
FreeBSD system to no avail (it has the same model Seagates). The only way
we got it to boot was to create 1 partition in fdisk and respond No to
the "incompatible with future filesystems" prompt. When we started the
News system, the processing was so slow we could not keep up with the
feed. There are 150 K of articles/day and the best we could do was 1.4
articles/second. With the Linux setup, we get 3.54 articles/second, and
SCO did 4.22 (different box for SCO). The problems with SCO and Linux are
they need to be rebooted 4 - 6 times a day because of system hang-ups -
mostly general protection faults or bad inodes. With the FreeBSD setup,
the system would just hang - no message and no response to any key combo.

We know we have this setup wrong somewhere. After all, the other FreeBSD
system here is working wonderfully. We just don't know where. Have you
any hints, ideas, suggestions? Can you point us in the right direction?

Another problem is that we have 5 disks, and the setup procedure only
installs 4. Is there a way to change that? We could not find a procedure
for adding disk drives after-the-fact in the Install book. Is there a
procedure for that if that is the way to go?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. The system has been
out of service for 6 days now, and the users are getting really grumpy.

Thanks a lot!

Jim Stewart
C4 Systems, Inc.