Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:38:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www Makefile ports/www/wb0 Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr ports/www/wb0/files patch-Makefile patch-etc_wb0_wb0.config patch-watcher.c

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:31:38 GMT, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>
> > This freezes my -current machine solid when I try to run it on a vty.
> > Any ideas why?  (I do have X11 running in the background.)

Does this happen just with wb0, or with other SVGAlib programs too?  It
could be that you haven't configured SVGAlib, or that your video card
isn't well-supported by SVGAlib.  If you run wb0 with the "m321"  option
as I suggest in the pkg-descr, that will cause it to use a 320 X 200 video
mode with 256 colors.  I expect that to work with most hardware.  If it
still seems to crash, try pressing "q" to exit the program, and try
switching virtual consoles (use ctrl+alt+Fx, not just alt+Fx).  If you
still have trouble, log in over the network (if you have one) and kill
wb0, then try again to switch virtual consoles.  The X factor is probably
unimportant.

> Looks like a piece of crap.  No documentation, you have to be root to
> run it and I've yet to figure out how to make it browse an actual web
> page.

I had forgotten to install all of the documentation.  I've just added it
to the port/package.  Thanks for reporting that. :)

If you're not logged in as root, you can still use wb0, but you do need to
own /dev/console, and the program needs to be suid root (which is how it's
installed).  This is the case, unfortunately, for anything which uses
SVGAlib.  Arguably, browsing the Web with a privileged program is stupid,
but there is a prominent warning when you install the program.

Usage can be simple:

	% wb0 m321 http://www.freebsd.org/gifs/freebsd_1.gif

As for it being crap, I suppose you could configure lynx to spawn seejpeg
or view, for a better experience.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt