Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 22:26:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Francois Kritzinger <ffkrz@iafrica.com>
Subject:   Re: HELP installing STAROFFICE

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Francois Kritzinger wrote:

> If anyone knows please explain how to install StarOffice 5.2 on FreeBSD
> 4.2.
>
> I ran the .bin script (with AND without the /net option), and the
> installation program "completed successfully". I also changed the paths
> in the programs/setup and programs/soffice scripts.
> When I run soffice, it says that it can't find the file user/sofficerc,
> even though it IS there.
> After running it with the /net option, it won't let me run the setup
> script as a non-root user. It says that "SO is already installed...". It
> works when I'm root, though.
>
> I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, no success. This is
> frustrating. Please help.

This is really evil, but here's how to fix it. I believe it a  permission
problem of some sort.  The fact that it will run as root made me suspect
this. The error message made no sense at all, so I got suspicious and I
did a chmod -R 777 on /usr/local/office52 (that's were I  installed the
silly thing) and it then ran from a user login as well as root. Go
figure..

I should have chased down the actual problem, but I was in a big
hurry to get an Excel file to display on FreeBSD, so I did the chmod
thing. Evil, evil...

As someone else said, it is a pig on a slow machine, but it's really
nice on an 850mhz P3 with 256 megs/ram. Having attached spread
sheets or "Word Documents" open right in the mail window is really neat.

I think that they wanted to control the integration between the
spreadsheet, wordprocessor, mail, browser, etc, so they outdid
Netscape and made a very Un-unixy monster that hogs all the resources
by loading everything at once,  but it does do a nice job if you have the
horsepower.

-Jim Durham