Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:59:17 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's difference between FreeBSD and GNU's HURD?

On Wed, 15 April 1998 at 15:42:49 +0800, Doug Lo wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
> My friend told me that GNU'S HURD is power more than FreeBSD and Linux,
> is it the truth?
> Would anyone tell me what's difference between FreeBSD and HURD?
> advantages and disadvantages?

My recollection is that the HURD is still not complete (still in alpha
release).  The last release on prep.ai.mit.edu is 0.2, and it's nearly
a year old.

I also recall that the HURD had all sorts of fancy features.  The name
stands for a HIRD of UNIX Replacing Daemons, and a HIRD is some other
recursive acronym, of which the H stands for HURD.  I never got
interested enough to follow up.

As far as I can tell, the Free Software Foundation has changed
direction, and would rather use Linux than the HURD.  Possibly people
just lost interest.  I have no idea whether it's better than Linux or
FreeBSD, but I am sure that it would be an incredible amount of work
to get it to work.  You'd effectively join the development team.

Greg