Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:29:29 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        R.W. <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86  freetype &  xtt modules now incompatible

R. W. wrote:

> After portupgrading Xfree86 (and I think freetype2) yesterday, I
> couldn't start XFree86; it failed with:

> (II) LoadModule: "freetype"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a
> (II) Module freetype: vendor="The XFree86 Project & the After X-TT
> Project"
> compiled for 4.4.0, module version = 2.1.0
> Module class: XFree86 Font Renderer
> ABI class: XFree86 Font Renderer, version 0.4
> (II) Loading font FreeType
> (II) LoadModule: "xtt"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libxtt.a
> Duplicate symbol SPropRecValList_new
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libxtt.a:xttmodule.o
> Also defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a
>
> Fatal server error:
> Module load failure

> This seems to be the same as this NetBSD bug report:
>
> <http://news.gw.com/netbsd.bugs/28924>;
>
> which says it can be reproduced by loading both the freetype and xtt
> modules.
>
> Commenting out  Load "xtt"  from my XF86Config, got things working
> again.

Indeed, according to release notes
(http://www.xfree86.org/4.4.0/RELNOTES5.html#37) the functionality of xtt has
been merged into freetype and, although I didn't find that explicitly
mentioned, that would appear to be the cause for them to conflict.
Furthermore, xtt is now deprecated and will be removed in next release (and
is in fact been removed in cvs already). Therefore it should be nothing wrong
with removing Load "xtt" from configuration as everything that was supported
by it should still work. A bit more about this merger can be found here:
http://x-tt.sourceforge.jp/