Date:      Fri, 8 May 2009 22:10:04 GMT
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/134122: multimedia/totem build fails

The following reply was made to PR ports/134122; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To: "Joe Kelsey" <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 17:08:00 -0500

 On Fri, 08 May 2009 16:24:04 -0500, Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
 wrote:

 > Jeremy Messenger wrote:
 >> On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:07:46 -0500, Joe Kelsey
 >> <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us> wrote:

 >>> This is, in fact, a false statement.  I performed the action of
 >>
 >> Uh? You can't say that because you have no clue. See here:
 >>
 >> ---------------------------------------
 >> # gst-inspect-0.10 playbin | grep /lib
 >>   Filename:        /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstplaybin.so
 >>
 >> # grep playbin /usr/ports/multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/pkg-plist
 >> lib/gstreamer-%%VERSION%%/libgstplaybin.la
 >> lib/gstreamer-%%VERSION%%/libgstplaybin.so
 >> ---------------------------------------
 >>
 > Why in the world would I ever use the tool gst-inspect?  What on earth
 > would lead you to believe that there was any way for me to even know
 > that such a tool either exists or had information to give me?  Is there
 > ANY documentation ANY?WH?AER which explains that?

 I am not telling you to learn the gst-inspect or you are supposed to know
 this. I am merely answer to your question for where the 'playbin' is
 supposed to be from, which is gstreamer-plugins. You end up insult me by
 'false statement', so I had to prove it to you. By the way, if you read in
 the configure and you will see that it calls on 'gst-inspect-0.10 playbin'.

 > The error message produced by the failed compilation mentions the word
 > "playbin" with no adornment.  There is no HINT anywhere in the failed
 > compilation about which mysterious gstreamer executable caused this
 > problem or any hint anywhere about how to determine for myself that the
 > error actually has any meaning at all.
 >
 > I have no independent knowledge of gstreamer other than the gnome stuff
 > uses it and I must install it on my system.  I install it and suddenly
 > things start breaking through no action of my own or any thing that I
 > can effectively trace.  I try to trace it and Marcus yells at me for not
 > having detailed knowledge of the internal workings of a complex,
 > apparantly fragile infrastructure.
 >
 > I asked a simple question: what does this word "playbin" have to do with
 > anything and how to I find out.  locate playbin produces no usefule
 > results.  pkg_info playbin produces nothing.  Saying it is a plugin
 > tells me nothing as I have already performed the action
 >
 > portupgrade -f gstreamer\*
 >
 > three or more times to no apparant effect.

 I didn't tell you to run this command. marcus even doesn't tell you to run
 it again. He is asking for the more info since you still get this build
 failure again.

 > So, Marcus yells at me and now you are doing the same.

 I don't see anything 'yell' in my first email, even second and even in
 marcus's emails.

 > What would lead you to believe that there is anything that would point
 > me toward "gst-inspecta" as something to use to explain the error
 > message.  Perhads, the mysterious compilation error should indicate that
 > I am supposed to examine the gst-inspect executable and use its options
 > to figure things out.  Perhaps gnomeloganalyzer could point out that
 > gst-inspect might have something to say.  Perhaps you or Marcus could
 > point out the existence of gst-inspect and how to use it.
 >
 > Thank you so much for your completely useless advice.

 I haven't given you any advice. I am asking for the more info by follow
 the bugging.html, because you are the ONLY user that have this problem.
 You know what. I think I can safely close this PR since you are refusing
 us the more details. Therefore, we are going to use our time somewhere
 better.

 --
 mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
 FreeBSD GNOME Team