Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:10:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk, kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk
Subject:   Re: newbie network question

To followup my own question...

First of all, thanks to the folks who responded.  This list has the
most knowledgeable and helpful people!

Second, I did manage to get some things working, and for the sake
of anyone who might follow this thread in the future, here's what I did.

I found two ways to get the IPX stuff working for DOOM, Quake, etc.

Method 1:

  On the diskette that came with my ne2000 cards, I found:

    /utility/sn2000.com
    /utility/net.cfg
    /utility/ipxodi.com
    /utility/lsl.com

  These were in the same place as the ``setup'' and ``diagnostic''
  programs were.  All it took to use these was (running dos):

    > cd C:<where I copied the above files>
    > lsl
    > sn2000
    > ipxodi

  The advantage (I my case) was that these programs supported a
  ``/U'' option which will unload them when desired.

  Network games for DOOM, etc. run fine.

Method 2:

  On the diskette that came with my ne2000 cards, I also found:

    /pktdrv/sn2000.com
    /pktdrv/dpdipx.com

  To use these (running dos):

    > cd C:<where I copied the above files>
    > sn2000 96
    > dpdipx

  The disadvantage (I my case) was that these programs did not
  support an unload option.  A reboot is required to recover the
  memory.

  Network games for DOOM, etc. run fine using this setup also.

  I also found some lan software for dos on an old SimTel cdrom:
  neos_10.zip.  It uses the above packet driver, and supports
  disk and printer sharing.  The disk sharing works fine -- I
  didn't try the printer sharing.  The ``dpdipx'' program is
  only required for doom, etc.  The neos lan itself only requires
  the packet driver ``sn2000''.

I'm going to search SimTel to see if there is any other lan software
available that would let me use TCP, etc. between the two machines
running dos<->dos or dos<->FreeBSD.  Since I don't have win95 or
workgroup for windows 3.1 (and have no interest in getting them)
I'm looking for alternatives.  I'll report what, if anything, I
find.

Again, thanks for the help.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net