Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:52:02 +0300
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

Technical Information wrote:
> But even if the CIA was involved in training and arming these people, it
> was NOT done in the name of terrorism.  It was made in the interest of
> stopping the spread of Communism, which has been part of our national
> directive for decades now.

Let me ask you a question - is fighting the spread of Communism any more
just a cause than fighting the spread of Capitalism? It's not a question
of ideology mind you, and please don't take it as such. Just think about
it. What would happen for example if things went differently, and today
the USSR was still intact, the USA was split instead, and some of the
USSR supported "organizations" decided there was not much left as far
as Capitalism is concerned, and decided to fight back Communism instead.
This is quite a simplistic thoeretical outcome, but let me restate your
sentence now to suit this hypothetical situation:

"But even if the KGB was involved in training and arming these people,
it
 was NOT done in the name of terrorism.  It was made in the interest of
 stopping the spread of Capitalism, which has been part of our national
 directive for decades now."

What do you think about that?

The only element that changed was ideology, and suddenly it doesn't make
much sense to someone that believes in a free market and whatnot, does
it? It is quite easy to let ideology blind you...

The fact is that the CIA has created a monster (numerous ones mind you,
but we'll just talk about the ones at hand right now) and God knows what
promises it made to them appart from offering weapons and training.
Well,
there's not much left as far as Communism is concerned to fight against,
and now they're fighting back because once they became useless they were
more of a liability than an asset and were promptly left to their own
devices.

--kkonstan