Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:13:34 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1008471819.486aea@mired.org>, Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam and this list

dochawk@psu.edu wrote:

> mike mentioned,
>

>>As for the rest of the lists, going subscriber-only would help be
>>nice.
>>

> debian-user has that restriction.  It's been a couple of years since I
> was subscribed to that, but spam still got through . . .

I personally think that their ISP's abuse mail drop should receive an
email from everyone who is bugged by the SPAM. I personally think SPAM
is a theft of services and approach it that way. If the ISPs received
30-70K complaints, the spammers would understand what all "plumbers"
know because it would be flowing downhill to them.

There is a group in Raleigh, NC that are particularly irritating. They
have their own IP but when you do a traceroute, you will find that they
are attached to qwest.net. It doesn't do any good to email the Raleigh
people but you may get the attention of the Qwest people.

I use to add to my signature something about it being hard to think you
are soaring with Eagles when you accept spam like a mouse. I only add it
now when I forward a spam to the abuse drops.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA