Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:17:26 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        perhaps@yes.no, pst@juniper.net
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au, dg@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isdisk() kludge in kernel

>Couldn't this be solved the opposite way?
>
>Default to denying open of character devices with associated block
>devices, and a flag to indicate that this device is OK to open in
>secure mode?
>
>Generally, default to denying is the only thing that is likely to
>create a secure system.

I like this, but not for -stable.  The disk flag would still be required
to support securelevel 1, where the only restrictions on devices are that
/dev/*mem and _disks_ for _mounted_ filesystems may not be opened for
writing.

Better yet, we could have a flag to indicate that the device is OK
to open.  It is not OK to open a device with an unmaintained driver :-).

Bruce