Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:40:42 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>, Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: l2ping(8) and -f switch

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011, Alexander Best wrote:

>> > what stops the user from recompiling l2ping without this restriction?
>>
>> nothing. but what stops him from recompiling ping(8) or ping6(8) without the
>> restriction? still it's there.
>
> AFAIK you need superuser privileges to even send ICMP_ECHO packets, thats
> why ping is traditionally a suid program and making a new binary won't
> help normal users..  I'm guessing that l2ping doesn't have the same
> restrictions?

Guys,

first of all thanks for the patch.

i think one really needs to understand what "flood" really means in
l2ping(8). "flood" ping(8) basically floods the link with icmp echo
requests without waiting for remote system to reply. yes, this is
potentially dangerous and thus its reasonable to require super-user
privileges. "flood" l2ping(8) is NOT the same. all l2ping(8) does is
"flood" mode

1) sends l2cap echo request
2) waits for l2cap echo response (or timeout)
3) repeats

in other words, there is no delay between each l2cap echo
request-response transaction. its not really "flood". i'm not sure if
it really worth to go all the way to restricting this. however, if
people think that it should be restricted, i will not object.

thanks,
max