Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:33:59 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <mini@d198-232.uoregon.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   VESA VBE 1.2 and 2.0 library

  I am developing a library which will provide VESA VBE 1.2 and 2.0 support
for FreeBSD. It works as follows :
   1) There is a device in the kernel which provides memory mappings for
   the video card, and (if needed) a virtual framebuffer mapping in kernel
   memory. (this ensures that the framebuffer won't get swapped out)
   2) a vm86 daemon which contains mappings to the virtual framebuffer (if
   in use) and io privelege to the video card's I/O space. This daemon has
   two purposes : one, it performs VBE calls requested by the vesa device
   and returns the results (often data tables) where the vesa device can
   reach them to pass back to the caller.
   3) A library which acts as a front-end for the vesa device and hides the
   whole interface between the vesa device and userland. It also will manage
   contention against syscons, if enabled. (For example, it will handle
   switching between vtys, changing the keyboard mode, etc)

  This provides support for all VESA VBE video modes on any card which supports
1.2 or better of the spec. (I have never seen a card which did not suport at
least VBE 1.2, and this is including old 8 bit VGA wanna-be cards that are so
slow you would never want to use one) It will also use a linear framebuffer
if the card provides it, and if not, a virtual frambuffer will be made
available. The virtual framebuffer is much slower, but it works.

  So, I am officially requesting a major number to be assigned to me for the
device 'vesa' which provides the memory mappings needed for this system to
work.

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."