Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:38:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael R. Rudel" <mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Minsung Kim <stair@mci2000.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-CURRENT Usergroup <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0-CURRENT kernel anomaly with X

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Minsung Kim wrote:

> I've upgraded my kernel to -current recently, and seeing these weird things
> during X is running.  (The symptom goes worse if Netscape 4.01b6[en] for Linux
> 2.0 is running.)
>
> o Many instances of of shell scripts die screaming "out of swap space."  That's
>   seen on the console like this:
>
> Jul 25 00:01:34 x /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
> Jul 25 00:01:37 x /kernel: pid 2553 (bash), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
>
> o Compilation of program fails occasionally with apparently absurd errors -- I
>   can't catch any errors in the source code -- when a simple retry succeeds.
> o Outputs of compiled code varies from time to time.  (I noticed it building my
>   kernel -- I usually builds the kernel twice and compares object files to each
>   other, except for vers.o.)
> o The 1st characters of items on my TWM menu are garbled.  (For instance, "File
>   Runner" sometimes looks "Nile Runner", etc.  :-&)
>
> Does any of these ring a bell?  TIA.

Somebody has probably replied by now, but try a make world from
/usr/src... I've had this problem (or similar to this) once or twice...

I've found if your system is broke, a make world is the happy, easy, fix
that takes ~8 hours. ;)

--
Michael R. Rudel -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org
FreeBSD aerosmith.dyn.ml.org 3.0-CURRENT