Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 16:07:49 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        Thomas =?koi8-r?Q?K=C3llmann?= <koellmann@gmx.net>
Cc:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc -Os optimisation broken (RELENG_4)

Thomas Köllmann wrote:

> I wrote/schrieb (Saturday, March 18, 2000):

> | |
> | | Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but can the pentium optimisations be used
> | | for AMD K6 processors?
> |
> | I did a `make world' yesterday with
> |         CFLAGS=         -O2 -pipe -march=pentium
> |         COPTFLAGS=      -O2 -pipe -march=pentium
> | (inspired by recent mention of optimizing on this list) on my
> |         AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (350.80-MHz 586-class CPU)
> | desktop machine. It still runs, but I'll have yet to see whether
> | this will cause any suspicious behaviour. [...]
>
> I've just learned that there is a `-march=k6' even though the man
> page for gcc-2.95.1 does not mention it...

GNU folks are very reluctant in respect of updating man pages (they think that man
pages is obsolete feature). If you would look into gcc man page thoroughly you
could find following disclaimer in its very beginning:

      This  man  page  is not kept up to date except when volun-
       teers want to maintain it.   If  you  find  a  discrepancy
       between  the  man  page and the software, please check the
       Info file, which is the authoritative documentation.

Therefore if you want to learn about new options and optimisations than it would
be better to read info pages instead (info gcc).

-Maxim