Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 18:55:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      sirsyko@ishiboo.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Promiscuous mode on Intel Etherexpress 16TP

Hi,

	I've been trying to get DHCPD and tcpdump to use my intel etherexpress,
but both fail. DHCPD complains that bpf isnt configured (although it is), and
tcpdump complains that ix0 is not configured. If I run tcpdump on my ppp0
device, it works fine, so I know bpf is working.

In the etherexpress driver (if_ix.c), I noticed the following:

        cb_conf->byte[8] = 0;           /* promiscuous mode off,
                                           broadcast enabled,
                                           nrz encodeing,
                                           cease transmission if ^CRS,
                                           insert crc,
                                           end of carrier mode bit stuffing,
                                           no padding */

So I'm curious how I can get bpf access to my ix0 device. Does anyone know
what I need to do to enable promiscuous mode on my Intel Etherexpress?

Thanks for your help.

(ss)

# uname -a
FreeBSD orb.domain.com 2.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE #1: Sun May  4 20:05:15 EDT 1997     sirsyko@orb.domain.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/orb  i386