Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:56:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Zoltan Sebestyen <sebesty@cs.elte.hu>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=E9my_Villeneuve?= <remyv@globetrotter.qc.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting Windows NT 4 Filesystems ... (NTFS)

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Rémy Villeneuve wrote:
>
> > Hi...
> >
> > I'd like to know if it is possible to mount a WinNT filesystem on
> > FreeBSD? And also to know if long filename support will come soon for
> > '95/NT filenames...
>
> There's no support for NTFS currently (nor will there probably be anytime
> soon). I vaugly recall someone talking about long filenames in FAT
> partitions, so someone might be working on it (it is not supported *yet*
> through).
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Remy Villeneuve
> >
> Nadav

About 4 months ago I proposed an alternate solution, but no one was
interested in it. There's a little program called vmount for
NeXTStep/OpenStep (they're BSD, too) so it wouldn't be a big job to port
it to FreeBSD. With it you can mount any filesystem that a Linux can do(
even NTFS). Its source code is available and it requires the include and
the fs subtree of a 2.x Linux kernel to compile.

Sebestyen Zoltan			It all seems so stupid,
					it makes me want to give up.
szoli@caesar.elte.hu			But why should I give up,
					when it all seems so stupid?