Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:36:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD's strlcpy(3) and strlcat(3)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:28:52 CST, Warner Losh wrote:

> I'm planning on committing their man page.  I don't see problems with
> it, purhaps people could point them out to me so that both our man
> pages and theirs could be better.

As I've said already, there's too much in DESCRIPTION that should be in
HISTORY or IMPLEMENTATION NOTES. I almost get the feeling that the
manpage doubles as a marketing brochure.

The reason I see this as a problem is that there is a great deal of
consistency in the string(3) family manpages. This consistency makes it
very easy to move from one manpage to the next and spot differences.

The strlcpy manpage breaks this style badly. While that's fine when you
read it on its own, it's a PITA when you're missioning around the
strings(3) manpages.

If you see my point, let me know and I'll send you an alternative
strlcpy.3 .

Ciao,
Sheldon.