Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:58:16 +0200
From:      Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with understand file system performance

On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 07:44:22PM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> If you mean LFS then no. LFS is a log file system (the entire FS is a log)
> whereas JFS is a journalling FS (i.e. a FS with a journal). They're quite
> different beasts.

OK, point taken. As I understand it, jfs uses a log aka journal (usually hd8,
type jfslog, in the std rootvg after installation) to prerecord metadata
updates for the logical volumes in that volume group. I'm sure there's more to
it but that's all I can remember now. Reading the paper by Margo Seltzer on
LFS is still on my todo list.

Cheers,
--
Jos Backus                          _/ _/_/_/  "Reliability means never
                                   _/ _/   _/   having to say you're sorry."