Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:29:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        TM4526@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between releases

> In a message dated 11/8/04 2:41:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> thad.butterworth@hp.com writes:
> >As far as open-open source being the only one in beta, I work in
> >development where our code is closed-source. Even we have to admit that
> >our releases fit better into the category of BETA than RELEASE.
> Which is pretty-much why I haven't bought or recommended anything from
> HP since the LaserJet Plus. I wonder how they feel about you revealing that?
>
> Please lets not get into "yet-another" open-source discussion. My only
> point was that a "Release" should not be "just another snapshot", there
> should be some "plan". If the 4 bozos who jump on everything I say will
> just cut back on the coffee there wouldn't be so much BS.

Obviously you weren't listening.
It is more than just another snapshot.  It is a special snapshot that
has things frozen and tested in place to make sure they all work together
at that level - sort of a barrier condition.  Daily snapshots do not have
that barrier condition, but are merely a dump of the source files as they
are at the moment.

"We're all bozos on this bus."   Sorry you still seem to be missing
the bus.

////jerry