Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 14:53:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@FreeBSD.org (Dima Ruban)
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new sup server

Paul Traina writes:

> If you run a mirror and are NOT on freebsd-hubs, get your butt on there
> please.
>
> Freefall updates its trees at 1:00, 7:00, 13:00, and 19:00 pacific time.
> It makes sense for other mirrors to attempt to start SUP operations

It does make sence. I have only one question. How long does it
usualy take to upgrade freefall? one hour, two, three?

> at least an HOUR after Freefall /starts/ its update, to insure it has
> completed.

Do you think, one hour would be enough?

> sup2's schedule is currently 2:10, 8:10, 14:10, and 20:10,  4 times a day.
>
> I would suggest that we coordinate as follows, to avoid overloading the T1
> to freefall:
>
> Here's my proposal, it's just a proposal, feel free to improve upon it.

> SUP windows start 1 hour + ((your mirror number - 1) * 10 minutes).
>
> e.g.  [ALL TIMES PACIFIC TIME]
>
> 	sup2	2:10	8;10	13:10	20:10
> 	sup3	2:20	8:20	13:20	20:20
> 	sup4	2:30	8:30	13:30	20:30
> 	sup5	2:40	8:40	13:40	20:40

I'll set up my server to update information at 2:40 and 13:40.

> 	sup6	2:50	8:50	13:50	20:50
>
> 4 times a day may be excessive, in which case, pick 1 two or 3 times.
> /Preferably/ we should work with our adjacent neighbors to do the right
> thing.  If you want to sup outside the 100 minute window (assuming 10
> mirrors) then do it whenever you want.  This is just to avoid contention
> for that precious time right after freefall does its updates.
>
> Here's an example of neighbor coordination, in the following example,
> sup3 and sup4 choose sup windows that would cause them to never overlap.
>
> 	sup2	2:10	8;10	13:10	20:10		4x
> 	sup3	2:20		13:20			2x
> 	sup4		8:30	13:30			2x
> 	sup5	2:40	8:40		20:40		3x

deal. I've increased 2x -> 3x.
Now I have 40 2,8,20 * * *

> 	sup6			13:50			1x

> I would /strongly/ reccomend people in general avoid the "on the hour"
> timeslot (except for sup7).
>
> I suspect that Jordan will be trimming off sup's from non-official-mirror
> sites real soon now to reduce the load on freefall and the T1.

Absolutely agreed.

> Ministry of Information

-- dima