Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:25:43 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build tools as separate distribution

> Well, considering everytime everyone has an idea for sysinstall, the
> shouts of "Wait! Something new and better that already addresses that
> is already in the works!" ring loudly from Concord.

I think that takes rather wide liberties in recounting what's actually
been said from Concord or anywhere else for that matter.

What I've said, and more times than I can count now, is that something
new and better is NEEDED.  More recently, I've also pointed out the
existence of the libh project as one potential candidate for filling
that need.  I've also stated in some detail, at various times in the
past, just what WAS needed to fix all of the historical shortcomings
of our installation and package management system.  None of that
precludes someone from doing the actual work, far from it.  I've been
practically begging for that to happen for over 5 years now, and I
have no illusions about BSDi riding in on a white horse to hire the
people to do the job.  I might have had some early on, but I quickly
wised up on that score.

> Someone offered to actually look into doing the work (or I think even
> mentioned that he did the work) previously in the thread, so I was

The problem with hacking on sysinstall, even for someone willing to do
the work, is that it's an evil mess and most people underestimate the
challenge when making such statements.  This then leads to either
nothing happening (which is comparatively harmless) or them making an
even bigger hash out of it, something which leads to mystery-failures
at release time.  That's pretty embarassing and anything but harmless,
especially to my sleep schedule.  If it were properly designed and
implemented, people could hack on it without breaking it so easily,
but it's not.

- Jordan