Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:28:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious server-side NFS problem

:Matthew Dillon writes:
:
: >     We're already testing a patch.
:
:Thanks again Matt!
:
:The latest rev of nfs_serv.c has fixed it.
:
:I'm now seeing FreeBSD UDP client read bandwidth of 9.2MB/sec & write
:bandwidth of 10.9MB/sec.  Solaris clients are writing over TCP at
:10.1MB/sec (and that is across a router!) and are reading at 7MB/sec.
:
:Awesome!
:
:Thanks,
:
:Drew
:
:------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:Andrew Gallatin, Sr Systems Programmer	http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gallatin
:Duke University				Email: gallatin@cs.duke.edu

    Those are really quite excellent results!  Linux eat your heart out!  I
    get 9.5 to 10.5 MBytes/sec on my half-duplex network between two fast
    machines.  I tend to get between 7.5 and 9 MBytes/sec when using slower
    (200-300 MHz) clients.  That's *with* packet loss (for some reason when
    my fxp ethernets pump data out that quickly they tend to cause packet
    loss in other parts of my HUBed network, which I find quite annoying).

    We've solved most of the performance issues, but NFS is still
    eating a little too much cpu for my tastes.  Unfortunately it is getting to
    the point where a significant portion of the performance loss is occuring
    in the network driver itself.  Some of my cards eat 25% of the cpu just
    in 'interrupt' (at 10 MBytes/sec half duplex), not even counting the
    TCP or UDP stacks.  This is mainly due to the MTU being too small (i.e.
    packet fragmentation takes it toll on the interrupt subsystem).  SCSI
    cards are way ahead of NIC cards in regards to reducing interrupt
    overhead (though gigabit NICs have caught up some).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>