Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:34:38 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, will@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian.Dean@sas.com
Subject:   Re: CUPS dependency in KDE packages

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:19:46PM -0500, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

>I don't like the way that KDE drags in CUPS.

I suspect you have a ports dir that is > a month old.

KDE does not drag in cups. It brings in the cups libraries. It does not
bring in the lp* commands anymore.

>I don't know anything about CUPS except that I can't print if it's enabled,

You must have installed all of cups. Cups is now broken into two parts.
The libraries (cups-base) part will not affect your ability to print.

>and frankly I don't care to have to learn anything about CUPS just to use KDE.

You don't have to.

>I just did a pkg_delete -f of CUPS and now I can print again (yay!), but it's
>a pretty ugly thing to have to do and it took me quite a while to figure out
>that that was the solution to my problem.

That is not the solution. The solution is to get a new ports tree,
delete the cups and kde ports completely, and rebuild kde
2.2.2. kdelibs will build cups-base, which won't do anything to you or
for you if you don't also manually install cups-lpr.

>Could this be made into one of those optional --WITH things?

Working with the cups maintainer, we came to the solution of splitting
cups. It eliminates the need to make CUPS optional.

>Is there any way to make things like that optional when installing from
>packages?

No. Only at build time. A package is an atomic unit.

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff $PffMmmPppMpmPpfPpm mfpmmmmmfpmpmpppff.